Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Space Theory

I have made a breakthrough discovery! Something I have noticed since arriving in Asia but could never put my finger on... It has to do with the respect of spacial boundaries, and has been the source of much tension on public transport systems, queues and other public environments. The great thing is, that once you realise what it is - the spacial issues don't bother you nearly as much!
Allow me to explain:
It doesn't take someone who visits China long to realise that pushing, shoving, pushing in, elbowing and knocking are all fair game - even by little old ladies and small children. I have found this to be completely rude and at times unbearable and could never understand why - when I deliberately extended my one leg and put my hand on my hips and stood with my feet firmly on the ground - people would continue to violate my personal space. I also never understood when I deliberately elbowed or pushed past people (in a way that would never be tolerated back home) they didn't even notice me.
I thought this was a Chinese thing; a rude Chinese cultural thing that is completely different from what I know back home. But then we visited Singapore and saw Indians act in a the very same (seemingly rude and obnoxious) way. The more I thought about it the more I realised that it's also (generally) an African trait and used to be the source of much annoyance for me back home when I was exposed to it. My theory of it being a cultural heritage was proven wrong, but another theory emerged...
I now understand that people's spacial boundaries are not necessarily related to their culture, but rather their home life as children. If, as a child you grew up with many people in your household, took public transport to school and had a bigger class/dorm to fight with your spacial tolerance is much higher. Those of us who grew up in families where we each got our own room, drove cars to school and never had to fight siblings or peers for a meal have a much lower tolerance of spacial nearness. I fall in the latter catagory and I am so grateful; but it's important to know this before you come to China so you are not taken aback.
Indians, Chinese and Africans are communities of higher numbers than white westerners and they do not understand that when you put your hand on your hips you are demarkating your personal space. They don't feel it when you push them and they think pushing you forward or to the side is acceptable. Niether way is right or wrong but it does help to realise our differences.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So true Mer. I have also found this incredibly frustrating in South Africa and can't even imagine how much my patience would be tried in China. I'm not sure that it is something I will ever get used to or accept but I guess understanding a little bit why they are like that might help. xxx