Friday, August 10, 2012

A Turning Point

As this blog reaches 50 published posts - and with our China Adventure no longer taking place in China - it feels only fitting that this be a transitional point for the blog too. I really don't believe that we Baileys have closed the book on China forever, for we are too changed and our experiences there are too ingrained in who we are to go back to the people we were before. Kyle has also worked too hard in the language for it to go unused, and of course, we had our first two children born in Beijing, and so we will certainly return there often for them to be able to fully appreciate the rich heritage into which they were born.

But we are definitely in a new chapter in this journey, and so to conclude these last 5 years I am putting a book together of all our experiences and photos which I'm sure only my sweet Gran will be interesting in reading. But I have also decided to keep up with my blogging. Probably not very often (as is my style) but I still definitely want to keep track of our China encounters and experiences in Africa. Maybe together we can learn a bit about the Chinese community in Johannesburg, raising Chinese-speaking kids, and navigate the animosity between the Chinese and the locals on a practical level.

I am proudly South African, and a fierce defender of my country and countrymen. But as a family I believe we are also acutely sensitive to the Chinese way of doing things, and probably always will be. So maybe we are ready to start our adventures IN AFRICA.

No comments: