Friday, August 10, 2012

With a thankful heart

As of 31 August 2011 I became a stay-home-mummy. I wrapped up my end of a very rewarding 3 year project setting up Beijing's only special needs school and therapy support clinic, and I handed over the reigns to two very competent gents who took over as principal and clinic director in my stead. It was the biggest learning curve of my professional life to date and for every frustrating moment, I relished in the life-changing difference we were making for those desperate families in a desperate nation. I thank Care for Children for such an awesome opportunity and particularly Robert Glover for his faith in my abilities despite my lack of credentials, the amazing team I worked with and the remarkable families and students who journeyed along with us.

It was a difficult transition from the fast-paced day of a full time job to being a stay-at-home mommy, but it was a very deliberate decision I do not regret for a minute. While I love working and feel a great passion and gift for what I do/did, I was very grateful to have the option to stay home with Zipporah and get to know her at such a vital stage of her development. Stay-home-mums get such a bad wrap, but I thank the women in our church for being such an example of moms who enjoy their kids, that I became more and more open to the idea of doing it myself one day. And to be honest, I hardly miss working now at all. I really thought I would - and don't get me wrong, I do miss feeling important and having smart clean clothes to wear everyday - but I like being a stay-home-mum so much more than I thought I would and Zipporah and I have had such a super duper time since I stopped working on my career and started working on my home.
I have also become a bit of a gourmet chef so besides the potty training, processing the pureed foods, sleep training, disciplining and educating my time at home has not been wasted :P

It is sad that the school and clinic I was part of setting up wasn't able to survive long term though. In September 2012 the school had to close for lack of funds and the families in Beijing were once again left without a special needs option for educating their children. It is terribly sad, but I will always remember my time at CFCS and be forever grateful for the many lessons I learnt through the process of setting up a school. I am truly thankful, both for the role I played in such exciting work, and for the opportunity to leave it behind and focus on being a mother.

Of all the things I am thankful for during our time in China, those are certainly two of the biggest.

No comments: