Friday, August 10, 2012

The Chinese land in Africa

In preparation for our trip back to SA, and to try and include her in the transition process, we taught Zipporah about "Africa" - pronounced in her world "Affuka" at the time. We told her about the aeroplane we would take, we mentioned the list of family we would see when we arrived, and we explained how Ayi was from China and would therefore be staying behind :(

It's now been a month since left Beijing and as many of you know it has been a busy month indeed. The transition has not been easy for any of us and we are all missing Ayi Lisa. Our 'Chinese-ness' has also shown up in the weirdest of ways - for example my daughter still doesn't constitute being in the back garden as outside, because in China we went out the front door when we went outside, so outside must entail walking out the front door and being in the streets (and so she demands this here now too!) Another quirk has been in our navigation. Although I am actually from Johannesburg you would never be able to tell by the amount of times I get lost these days! And then there is the grocery stores which take me right back to those first days in Beijing when I cried because I couldn't read anything or know what things looked like/were called. I find myself wandering the aisles of Checkers trying to find the ingredients I got used to cooking with in China, and I often leave without my shopping list completed because I don't know where to find something or what it should cost/looks like. Shameful I know.

The difference is that in Beijing I had an excuse for looking like an idiot - I didn't speak the language and foreigners can get away with a lot more than locals. Here, I look and sound like everyone else, but I am just as clueless as I would be on Mars. I don't know where to park, where to pay, who to go to and who sells what around here, hence it is taking a while to find my bearings.

When people ask me how we're finding life in Johannesburg I usually reply by saying that I have not yet arrived in Jhb - my shipment is still sailing to Durban harbour and on most days I feel like I too am floating somewhere over the Indian Ocean. We are not yet settled, but it is good to be here. We are taking things one day at a time and I am happy to say that the children are doing remarkably well. They are really enjoying life in "Affaka" - having lots of time with their cousins, playing with animals and being outside despite the cold (because lets just be clear for all those Joburg wimps, winters here are mild!)

Kyle's job is going very well too and he is going to be pioneering relations with the Chinese construction companies in Africa which is very exciting stuff and just up his ally. This is very important work we believe given the growing distaste for the Chinese in Africa and he feels privileged to be working with such a forward-thinking company.

And when I get this shopping thing down, I will also be feeling happier in SA. Until then, please forgive this bumbling idiot from Beijing who may look like you, but feels more like a China-women!

No comments: